Saturday, November 1, 2008

The French Trip


Just got back from La Belle France. Hence three new posts. Wish I had read Chris's comments on previous post before leaving. Explanation will beome clear when you read the following log I made during the trip.

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrived in France Thursday after a very pleasant journey. My fears of coping seemed to have been premature. Tired but happy I begin to unpack. It is then I discovered I had forgotten my Interferon injection pen. I couldn’t believe it. I searched through my case over and over - no, it was not there. As the medication has to be in the fridge I knew I had to leave it till the last minute to pack. Even so, to have left it completely is ridiculous. It is naturally important to keep the Hep C treatment as consistent as possible. I began to beat myself up with admonishment, aware this is going to have consequences. I speak to L. She tries to calm me down and promises to post the pen. I found it hard to get to sleep.

Today, Friday, has not turned out how I had hoped. Instead of visiting the local supermarket and mooching around I have to drag my Mum and B to the local hospital. L spoke to St Thomas’s Haemo centre in London and they said they would try to fax a prescription to the hospital here in Montmorrilion. All went well. I received a letter explaining all. The hospital said the pharmacy in the town would have the medication. It was lunch by this time and the pharmacies were closed. So off to Hyper U for shopping and a pancake. After lunch we visit three chemists. None of them had the medication. I was not surprised; its hardly paracetamol. One of them was kind enough to let me know that if they did have it, it would cost 222 euros. Certainly gave my French a good work out.

We went back to the hospital. They now explain it cannot be got in Montmorrilion and that I will need to visit the nearest city hospital in Poitiers. By this time I am stressed and weepy over the whole ordeal and cannot bear the thought of anymore driving. I will have to wait for the Interferon Pen L sent to arrive. Even though it has been sent next day delivery (£35 !) they don’t think it will arrive till Tuesday. This is not good news as it will mean, not only that the medication will be late, but I will now be in the middle of my worst reaction days when we are travelling back to Blighty.

The thing that upsets me the most, is the amount of work I have caused others. Particularly L.
Oddly, despite this trauma, the usual side effects are minimal. I am actually feeling quite human. This may simply be adrenaline, I am not sure.



Sunday.

Went for Sunday lunch at a local restaurant. It lasted three hours, which was an hour too long for me. The noise etc started getting to me. Had a nice time overall though my main meal was odd. It was Roasted Biche (Doe a deer) covered in brown spicy sauce which bore a remarkable resemblance to HP sauce. I wont try that again.


Monday Morning

The medication arrived at 10am. Hooray. I have my injection straight away - only 12 hours late. Much relieved, I spend the day in bed resting. Mum and B look after me. Got up at sunset and went for a lovely walk with Mum. It was all misty and moody. Hope you like the pics.

Thursday.
Sad to Leave France. Everyone who lives in our little hamlet is so friendly and kind. Trip home was tough. Mum and I both suffering with colds. L suprised me by meeting us at our arrival in London which was great.

1 comment:

Debi said...

Wow - sorry, that's all I can say ...