Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hep C Treament - Day 06

Lethargy is with me today. Headaches and nausea too. I also felt the first passing twinges of the blues pass through me. Oh no none of that I said to myself. I noticed last night, when I became over-tired, that I was being short tempered. It is important not to emote too much even if I am feeling crabby. I don't mean bottling up my emotions, more letting unnecessary negativity leak out all over the place. L had a very tough week organising a conference and came home in such high spirits because it went so well, it would have been so selfish to dampen her enthusiasm. I know, from past experience, that my mood can bring the whole family down, so, I am determined to prevent it. That's not to say I won't have a good moan once in a while.

As it is such a lovely sunny day I helped L chop some climbers down. L says I need all the vitamin D I can get. So, we had lunch outside too. Now I've been relaxing watching golf and writing here. I am hoping to have enough energy to go to the Writer's Group tonight.

4 comments:

Chris Vacano said...

Rich,

If nobody warned you, this is indeed going to be a test of your will and ability to manage scant resources. I think you're already picking that up.

It sounds to me like you have a pretty good approach to this whole thing... but make sure the people around you (family and friends) understand that you're not going to be able to be entirely yourself all the time. These drugs are rough on your system, and your body and psyche are going to respond in unexpected ways.

It just occurred to me... you might want to take a look at "The Hero With 1000 Faces" and "The Hero's Journey", both by Joseph Campbell. It could serve as a valuable guideline for framing your storytelling.

Just a couple of thoughts from the far side of the pond. :)

Be well,
Chris

Rich said...

Thank Chris. Yes its going to be challenge. But that what make life interesting.The family have no illusions as to the struggle but are, as ever, very supportive.

I'll look into those hero books they sound useful.

How's your recovery going? After all the drugs, are you back to what passes as normal for a bleeder?

Debi said...

Brill to see you at the writers' group last night.

And even briller (???) that your writing was of such an incredibly high standard.

Hope you're soaking up some more Vit D and not feeling too crabby after the late night.

Chris Vacano said...

My recovery has been remarkable. Energy is back up, and the liver damage has been stopped cold in its tracks... may even be showing signs of healing up a bit. My only complaint is that I've put on about 3 stone for no apparent reason, since finishing treatment. My theory is that my body is so unaccustomed to living WITHOUT the rotten little parasite virus, that it's hoarding resources in case it comes back.

Luckily, there's a new YMCA opening near our house next month, so I'll be looking to get in the pool and on the machines to turn some of my mid-section into muscle.

Cheers!
Chris