Monday, September 15, 2008

Hep C Treatment - Day One


Last night before bed I began getting a minor headache. I took the Interferon at 10.30pm. The needle didn't hurt at all. The most difficult thing was squeezing the dose in. I was trying to be gentle, as advised, but the pen needed real pressure. Still in six months time it will all be second nature I'm sure. L seemed more anxious about the whole process than me.

I then had some paracetamol and tried to sleep. This proved to be difficult. I felt speedy. I don't know if this was the tablets, the injection or just adrenalin. I will be interested to see how it goes next week. I tried very hard not to imagine symptoms. I also kept saying to myself - I can be well, I will be well, I am well. Like a mantra. If your head is going to go around and around you may as well fill it with positive thoughts.

And so to today. Actually it was not too bad. I got up and made breakfast and packed lunches for everyone. I felt achy, cold and a bit heavy headed but I could cope. After everyone had gone to work/school I slept. An hour later I was woken by a knocking on my first floor bedroom window - it was the window cleaner! Having slept I felt much better. The sun was shining, I wasn't dead, things were looking up. After paying the window cleaner I showered, dressed and did a little housework. I could feel ambitions of going for a walk or gardening. But was also conscious of not pushing myself too much first day. So, I rested. Listened to 'How to Kill A Mockingbird.' And a Sherlock Holmes adventure. Then after an afternoon nap made Diner.

The main symptoms are aching bones and waves of weariness. I am very happy about this. But I fear being too optimistic and thereby provoking fortune. In the past I have had experiences of thinking, hey I haven't had a bleed in ages, only to find myself with one the following day. Those Gods up there are listening, and they like their fun.

5 comments:

Debi said...

One day at a time ...

May the gods smile on you and keep you well. xxx

Chris Vacano said...

Hang in there Rich! You can see this through. Just be sure to give yourself permission to feel less than 100% when needed.

Chris Vacano said...

Oh, and in my experience, unflappable optimism helps. :)

Debi said...

Chris - I can testify to Rich's unflappable optimism. Seems like you have a hefty dose of it yourself ...

Rich said...

Thanks Debi and Chris.
I had spent the whole day beating myself up thinking I should get up and do something, but I just felt so lethargic. It took me till late last night to give myself permission to be ill. I suddenly realised my primary job was to help the drugs do their work. Everything else can wait. I feel this is particularly true in these opening days. I suspect if I get the treatment off on a good course the rest will follow.